GLOBALIZATION

Globalization is the term adopted to illustrate the increasing reliance of the world’s markets, societies, and cultures, brought closer by inter-border trade in products and services, investment streams, technology, individuals, and data. Countries have developed economic assistance to promote these movements for hundreds of years (Jameson & Miyoshi, 1998). Over the centuries, the global village has realized that focusing on economic development is better than enforcing wars on one another, putting an end to empires.

Today, when I went to the supermarket, I put on my lens of globalization and witnessed many things that I ignored before. Starting with leaving my home, I took out my phone to take pictures, and then I realized that my phone is a Chinese product, the first impact of globalization on my day. As I walked down the street, I saw a couple of Muslim citizens wearing their traditional scarves and caps. This showed how individuals from different cultures across the border practice their culture and traditions in this country. As I crossed by them, I saw a billboard portraying a Google advertisement showing how android has connected millions of people worldwide. This technological transfer from an American company into the entire world shows how globalization is deeply rooted in our lives. Even before entering the supermarket, I had stumbled upon many things that came in the category of globalization, but after entering there, I witnessed even more. There were local and imported products in every rack, which came through the logistical processes to the store. Like Swiss chocolate or Turkish jewellery, the imported products arrived at the store by ship or air to the country first. And after arriving at airports or dry ports, the logistics companies supply these products everywhere. Although I could not take a picture of any truck unloading the products, I believe globalization must have an impact there as well. Globalization is everywhere if a person starts to look at it. From our clothes to smartphones and cars, everything is jointly made. Even American based companies cannot claim success without taking the help of foreign expertise in technology, labor, or any other services.